Experts tell us many jobs will be done by robots instead of by humans. When? Very soon. It’s already begun. Bank tellers have been replaced to a large degree by ATMs and soon even financial analysts will see their jobs go to artificial intelligence. Most finance firms already use AI to make stock predictions at a fraction of the cost of doing it with humans.
The discovery part of a lawyer’s job can be handled by AIs dozens of times faster, thousands of financial reports are already written by AIs today, medical diagnostics can be done with expert systems 30 times faster than by human doctors and these diagnostics are 99% accurate.
We’ll be exploring teaching in the Robot Age and its many corollaries in future articles but for now let’s jump in right away and have your students consider a practical application with ethical consequences you can debate in French class: Driverless cars and the need they will have to make moral judgements in emergency situations.
Planet French takes a look at scenarios in which a car with failed brakes must “decide” on different behaviours, each choice loaded with consequences. How would your students, as the car’s programmers, code the car to behave?
Subscribers can see and use this article by clicking here.
The article comes with facts and questions, all in French of course.
If you’re not already a Planet French member, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free 1-877-637-7323 to to find out how to sign up your school or school district.
Planet French is the only platform with weekly Canadian news videos and articles and with over 600 French resources for grades k-12.
Planet French courses feature eBooks featuring 3 levels of difficulty in each book to speed up differentiated instruction and keep your students in their “zone of proximal development” (see examples below).
How to order
To order your French resources, please click on the relevant menu tab above, or click here to see current specials and deals.
For everyday real life situations kits, click here.
For French culture French kits, click here.
For other French resources, please click on the relevant menu tabs above.
3 levels of difficulty: We offer different levels in the same books, DVDs and eBooks, including CEFR levels as well as our own colour-coded easy to use scale. This gives students stretch goals and revision opportunities.
This Planet French innovation works. It ties in with the best concepts discussed by Russian scientist Lev Vygotsky and others: successive approximation and the zone of “proximal development”. I know some of Vygotsky’s ideas are controversial but this one works. French is a skill and these kits work in schools across the country.
French teachers love this, as they discuss using the kits in our preview video (fill the form on the right to access our secure demo video section and watch free previews including teachers explaining how they used booksmarts kits).
Here are 3 pages showing examples of the colour-coded 3 levels of difficulty. Each of our kits includes texts and videos at different levels of difficulty so you can use each kit at different levels and quickly apply differentiated instruction.
The Complete Booksmarts Planet French online library, plus weekly news videos and articles in levelled French:
- Access to over 600 French assets, including all Booksmarts kits online. Click here for a full description and samples.
- Neurolinguistic action oriented approach
- Designed for the curriculum from grades 2 to 12
- Covers French culture around the world
- Covers conversational everyday real life situations
- Each kit comes with printed books, 10 to 25 videos and activities, online ebooks, online videos.
- For example the Bienvenue à Quebec kit, Les Franco-Ontariens, Bienvenue en France, Les Acadiens, Bienvenue en Haiti, Le Snack-Bar, Bienvenue au Cinema, Les peules autochtones du Canada, Bienvenue au Carnaval are is the most comprehensive kits on the planet. Each come with a book with texts for multiple levels of French for immediate differentiation. Each section is supported by matching videos (10 to 25 videos in each kit!), and action oriented activities.
- Online access for all teachers and students from your school. Access from anywhere at the same time.
- Purchased by schools, school boards and ministries of education around the world.
- Used by thousands of teachers and hundreds of thousands of students around the world.
- Covers FSL and French immersion.
- For school board bulk discounts, contact email@example.com